Wednesday, March 1, 2017

My Yoga Journey | 'Werk it' Out Wednesday

It all started when I saw a Facebook post from our on-post PX shopping center. 

Fort Bliss has a place called "Freedom Crossing." And it's pretty baller.

It not only hosts our PX, but also hosts the Class Six, a Starbucks, our food court, an Under Armor Store, an Irish Pub, a beautiful women's clothing store, The Dollar Tree, Buffalo Wild Wings, a Texas Roadhouse, and many other awesome stores.

Basically, it's pretty rad and you should check it out the next time you're on Fort Bliss.


But to continue my story, one of the "fast food" restaurants Healthy Pizza, was offering free sunset yoga on the lawn of Freedom Crossing. Now, I've done yoga in the past and I dug it. But it wasn't something that really REALLY interested me. I just did it to do it.

I decided that my hot mess, stressed out self needed some ME time and told the hubby I was going to try it out and ran out the door.

And I LOVED it.

Every Tuesday evening, I'd head out there and do my thing and feel amazing. This lead to me getting into a holiday challenge with my friend, Chrissy. She challenged me to 12 Days of Yogamas and we ROCKED it!


With the holiday challenge and the free yoga on post, I was totally digging everything that yoga was doing for me ... and still is. BUT - it began to get cold in the desert and the free yoga ended.

I was at a loss.

I needed the motivation to keep doing yoga and face it y'all .... I'm not a good accountability partner to myself.

And then it happened.

Another Facebook post popped up and a local cafe was going to offer free yoga presented by Dare to Dream Yoga and I mean, LOOK AT THIS PLACE!

This location was a dream! And Dare to Dream Yoga's mission is that yoga should be available to anyone and for free. So I was once again hooked!

Every Wednesday, I'd head out to the west side, over the mountain and through the construction. It has become a religion to me. It calms me and allows me to escape from reality for an hour. And for that, I'm very grateful.


I've continued to do Instagram challenges that make me work hard at hitting certain poses in my practice but most of all, to keep me accountable. My strength has improved and I have lost inches due to yoga. However, my eating habits haven't changed. I'm assuming now, but if was I was to lay off the cookies, I'd probably have a significant change in body mass.


Everyone has their way of getting into shape. Not everyone wants to sweat sprinting up a hill carrying a 30 pound tire on their shoulders. 

What needs to happen is: you, moving ... whether it's slow and steady or fast and heavy.

Just move.

And that's the point of 'Werk it' Out Wednesday!

Get it GURL!




No comments:

Post a Comment