Friday, September 23, 2016

Picking Up Where You Left | Girl Boss

Guys ... moving your business SUCKS.

S
U
C
K
S

I'm serious.

My business is also an LLC - a corporation, so in my opinion, it was even more difficult to move it from North Carolina to Texas.

I don't mean literally picking it up and moving it, I mean legally ... the paperwork involved. It blew majorly.

So because I'm not a lawyer ... that's my disclaimer ... as I was reading the mambo-jambo fine print of taxes and LLCs and whatever, I discovered that it would cost more to transfer my LLC from NC to TX than it would to close in NC and reopen in TX.

I know ... me even writing that out in layman terms was confusing.

Basically if I brought my NC LLC to TX, it would be treated as a foreign entity and I would not only have today takes in Texas, I'd also have to pay in North Carolina.

What the what?! 

I know right?

Because of that, I decided to legally close my NC business and reopen a TX one.

Even though it's still the same business.

I was worried that it would effect my credibility going from a business that was open since 2010 to a business opened in 2016. BUT ... now this is where my advice plays into this entire post ... I decided to go to the El Paso Chamber of Commerce and ask them how to go about this.

They set me up with a business mentor here in El Paso who's and business owner and qualified to give other small business owners advice. After speaking with him, I realized that I'm actually not as dumb as I thought I was one this. What he suggested was the same thing I had already put into play.

And guess what? My business is still considered opened in 2010 ... it was just, in all reality, closed for 3 months, while I moved. No credibility of long term business was lost!

I was good.

He also suggested online links and other personnel to help me get the information I needed to ensure my business was set up properly and most importantly, legally.

Each state has different rules on taxes, permits, licenses, and what not. I strongly suggest you stopping by your chamber of commerce to get the help you need. They will also have the contact information for any small business organizations that will help you out as you go.

Because of them, I was able to pretty much set up my business within 2 months. (it was a little slow because I was more focused on unpacking the house and ensuring it was ready for the kids).

And now for the next part of "the suck" of moving a business.

Clientele.

This is a hard one. It took me years to get the clientele I wanted in North Carolina. I don't have that many years here to grab them. I only have about three years here. It took me three years in North Carolina to get the clients I wanted.

So what does that mean?

That means I have to hustle! 

I reached out to like-minded people here in El Paso, trying to network and find a community that supports small business owners. This is a slippery-slope because many in my profession don't want to help each other out and they're out for blood.

Life of a creative.

However, I have been really lucky lately and found some great business owner "friends" to reach out to and receive the support I needed. As I give back to them as well.

What's the saying?

"Those who want to see others succeed, also succeed in life."

Or something like that.

As I learn more about moving a business, I'll share with you in this series. If you have any tips or comments, please share with me and the other readers!

Shit, if it makes this whole moving thing easier, why not right?!

Good luck y'all!




No comments:

Post a Comment